To make Kadai Paneer, a popular Indian dish, follow these steps:
- 250 grams paneer (Indian cottage cheese), cubed
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized capsicum (bell pepper), cut into thin strips
- 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust according to your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a kadai or a wok on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then add the crushed coriander seeds and sauté for a few seconds until they release their aroma.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Sauté until the onions turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Now, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes until the spices are well combined.
- Add capsicum (bell pepper) strips and sauté for 2 minutes until they become slightly tender.
- Add the cubed paneer and gently mix it with the masala. Be careful not to break the paneer.
- Crush the kasuri methi between your palms and add it to the kadai paneer. Mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend together. Adjust the salt according to your taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan, roti, or rice.
Enjoy your homemade Kadai Paneer!