To make French fries, you’ll need the following ingredients and equipment:
- Potatoes (russet or Idaho potatoes work best)
- Vegetable oil or another oil suitable for frying
- Salt (to taste)
- Cutting board
- Deep fryer or a large pot
- Spider strainer or slotted spoon
- Paper towels
- Baking sheet or plate
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making French fries:
- Peel the potatoes (if desired) and rinse them under cold water to remove any dirt or starch. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Cut the potatoes into long, thin strips, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (0.6 to 1.3 cm) thick. You can leave the skin on for a more rustic look and flavor, or peel them completely.
- Place the cut potatoes in a bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 30 minutes. This helps remove excess starch and allows the fries to become crispier when cooked.
- While the potatoes are soaking, heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot over medium-high heat. The oil should be at least 2 inches (5 cm) deep.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels. Make sure they are as dry as possible to avoid oil splatter.
- Once the oil is hot (around 325-350°F or 165-175°C), carefully add a small batch of potatoes to the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot, as it can lower the oil temperature and result in soggy fries.
- Fry the potatoes for about 5-7 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Use a spider strainer or slotted spoon to gently stir and turn the fries occasionally for even cooking.
- Once the fries are cooked, remove them from the oil and transfer them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet or plate. This helps absorb any excess oil. Sprinkle the fries with salt while they’re still hot.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining potatoes in small batches until all the fries are cooked.
- Serve the French fries immediately while they’re still hot and crispy. You can accompany them with ketchup, mayonnaise, or any other preferred dipping sauce.
Remember to exercise caution when working with hot oil to prevent accidents. Enjoy your homemade French fries!